Friday, February 27, 2009

Rubrics

During this last module I have learned a great deal about rubrics, and I also have grown to appreciate them more than I previously did. Rubrics are a great representation of fair grading, and they give a clarity of what exactly it is that the teacher is looking for. In reading chapter 10 and exploring various websites including Rubistar I have discovered there are more ways than one to grade using a rubric including different aspects to grade on. Rubistar was an excellent website for me to use especially since it was my first time creating one. It helped guide me through exactly what it was I wanted to score in my lesson, and was also easy enough for the children to read. That is important to me because I find teacher and student communication highly important, and I want my students and I to be on the same level.
Rubrics not only clarify content for students, but they also help maintain consistency. Coordinating them is also important because you can specify if they are task based or general. Each rubric has sort of its own identity and validates the students to assure them that this is what will be graded and this is what is asked of you. In other words when the student sees the rubric they know before had what is t be done, an therefore the grading is fair. In chapter 10 it specifies something that I found extremely eye catching. I am a true fan of student-teacher and teacher-student feedback. I would love to leave an option on the bottom of my rubric for my feedback as well as the students feedback. Concluding my blog I want to say "YES" to rubrics and use number grades only when necessary. Rubrics convey more of a meaning to a grade rather than a cold solid number. It also helps the students know where exactly they made errors. I will definitely incorporate rubrics into my classroom and hope future teachers will do the same.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy,

    Thanks for posting.

    You claimed, "I would love to leave an option on the bottom of my rubric for my feedback as well as the students feedback." What an excellent idea! This interactive touch could add to your assessment measures.

    ReplyDelete