Friday, March 13, 2009

Homework

Homework is something I definitely remember as a child. I can recall the nights that I had to stay up and do tedious amounts, and I can recall the times I had homework that I absolutely wanted to do. I liked homewor. I can honestly say it did not bother me, but too much of it became a problem. I feel some teachers go a little overboard on giving homework. Everything not finished in class becomes homework, and then on top of that students get the "real" homework for the day. That is incredibly overwhelming. Students have only so much attention span power to deal with the heavy amounts, and just because there's a lot does not mean they have a good teacher.
I think homework is important in other cases. I think it serves as a brush up period to keep the students mind fresh of the days learning, and as a parent informer allowing the parents to know where exactly their child is in the year. Remember to keep in mind that homework should not be used as a complete assessment because in all factuality we do not always know who completes the homework. It could be the parent for all we know doing the childs homework. This can also cause a raising of standards by the teacher because they think the student is completing this homework, or they can create biases that enhance the classroom environment calling for harder assignments or tests. Homework can sometimes have its goods and bads, but for the most part its use as a formative assessment is doing its job for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment