Friday, March 13, 2009

Teacher Expectation and Power Teaching

As a teacher I am well aware that I am going to have expectations of my students as they will of me. I think both the students and I should be on a level where we both understand what it is that is expected within our roles. I expect that my students would respect me that same ways that I would respect them, and abide by all of my classroom rules and assignments. I would like to have something similar to a pact that we would all sign in the beginning of the school year, and form like a family environment where the students can all be themselves. With all of this in mind I want to keep it obvious that the level of respect that I expect from my students will not decline while keeping a fun environment. The respect will create most of the comfort and gives students a better sense of trust within the classroom. This will hopefully ensure good learning because the students can then do things like elaborate and talk with one another, and approach others for help with confidence, or approach the teacher with confidence that they can receive the right help without being embarassed. As a whole every teacher has their expectations and we can remember not to keep them too high nor too low.
As far as power teaching is concerned I don't see mtself leaning towards that technique in my classroom. I feel it is not a proper environment to learn or teach in. I do not think competition is the way to go either. While these students are thinking they also know they are competing, and that defeats the purpose of having a train of thought creating less learning from taking place. This may also produce more error because of the fast pace. In the video students were actually showing a lack of thinking or loss of thought and there were quite some interrupions. This does not prove learning took place. I really do not care for it, and most likely will not use it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. There does have to be a mutual respect it makes thing a lot easier in the classroom. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete