Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Essay or Multiple Choice?

Throughout my life as a student I have always encountered this question, and at times debated with friends over the issue of essay or multiple choice. While others have their own view I view both as good forms of assessment and test giving forms. I feel giving both forms helps the student to exercise their brains. Essay allows the student to elaborate and give a sculpted idea of the topic or topics that they are addressing. I do feel that they are a bit easier for most children because it allows that "in the ballpark" median whereas multiple choice is right or wrong. Some children are better writers and others may be better at multiple choice. It doesn't hurt to try either one. Multiple choice to me when I was younger was fun! I used the process of elimination if I didn't know an answer or was unsure, and majority of the time I must say it worked. If students know how to use this process correctly they can master a multiple choice test. In my future career as a teacher I plan to use both essays and multiple choice for assessment. I feel certain topics can only be answered in multiple choice and others essay it depends. I guess with time each class will weigh out the pros and cons and help me to learn which form is best for them at the time because as we know all children learn differently! I will make sure I exercise both forms in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent thoughts.

    Using various types of questions can meet the needs of all learners.

    As always, a terrific posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - I feel the same way about both forms of testing. If students get the process of elimination multiple choice, they can master that type of test. Essay test also help students express their creative side and gives the teacher an insight on were the student is taken the information. Like you I will use both forms in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete