Friday, May 1, 2009

Standardized Tests

To start off in this blog I am not a fan of these tests, so you will be reading something with a bias. I do not think a students intelligence level should be measured by these tests. The teachers are forced to drill this in their classrooms, and forget about other ways to nourish intelligence. Children hear how important theses tests are and feel pressured to do well most of the time causing low scores. Now in all honesty is this really fair? I have experience in one aspect: My 9 year old niece is in the third grade and is an honor student, but when these tests come she flips. Marking period tests make her nervous and now the NJASK leaves her without words. My prime example open ended questions in math? Whoa! However, I firmly believe that students will exemplify their learning and intelligence through regular classroom activities and lessons rather than these harsh tests. Students also have test anxiety, and even me as a college student still I have anxiety while taking tests so one can only imagine a young child. I think there should be other means of testing to get the point across not using these standardized tests to cause young anxiety in children. School should be an enjoyable learning experience, not a task!

No comments:

Post a Comment